Sailing and Powerboat Training at Reading
Learning how to use sailing and power boats with Reading Sailing Club is a fun and rewarding experience. Set in a safe and picturesque environment and led by enthusiastic volunteer instructors our trainees gain recognised qualifications and a real sense of achievement. All of our instructors are RYA qualified.
Reading SC courses and coaching are only available to members but you are welcome to join the club to take advantage of what we have to offer. See the menu for details but below we give the headlines of what we offer.
SAIL TRAINING – Adults and Juniors
RYA weekend courses for beginners and improvers:
- A series of two day courses that will take you for absolute first steps to being able to sail solo
- Adult and youth courses (aged 10+) Boats and equipment included
- Students gain internationally recognised RYA qualifications (amongst other places these are accepted by holiday resorts offering water sports)
Optimist (Oppies) Training
- Oppie Beginners for youngsters who had had little of no experience
- Oppie Improvers for children with at least RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Stage 1 and preferably have already started working on Stage 2 or higher Stages
Youth & Junior Training
Run through the Summer Training on Monday for children in at least Year 6 at school, with least RYA Stage 2 and have sailed regularly since.
This course develops skills towards RYA Stage 3, Start Racing or Seamanship (Seamanship skills are necessary before Assistant Instructor Training). Each session will focus on the skills suitable for the children participating.
Powerboat Level 2
A two day course for complete beginners or those with some experience who wish to improve their skills in a formal manner. The age range is from young adult upwards as some physical effort is required.
Successful students gain a formal RYA qualification.
An informal, one day course aiming to teach the basic skills needed to recover capsized sailing dinghies from a variety of situations and suitable for members driving the Club safety boats during racing and other events